Welcome to the New Founding Church of Washington, DC




The Fraser Mansion was fully renovated and restored, bringing new life to this historical DC landmark, as seen here in the reception area. The solid white oak floors and woodwork in this building, handcarved in 1890, were fully brought back to their original beauty.
For a QuickTime VR tour of the Founding Church of Scientology's reception area, click here.  (526K)
O
ver the past four decades, the Founding Church of Scientology of Washington, DC, has grown to such an extent that today it ministers to a large and ever-growing religious body, serving many thousands of parishioners in the metropolitan area.

     As the latest sign of this growth, the Church acquired expansive new premises which themselves reflect the rich history of the nation's capitol. Located in Dupont Circle, the meticulously restored Fraser Mansion became the Church's new Washington home in October 1995.


This detailed frieze over the fireplace had been broken into 13 pieces until restored. The signature of the artist is now visible, dated 1901.
To view a panorama of the historic Fraser Mansion, the new home of the Founding Church of Scientology, click here.  (243K)

     Taking its name from the man for whom it was built as a residence in 1890, George S. Fraser, this historical mansion was designed by architects Joseph Hornblower and James Marshal, renowned for their design of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, George Washington University's Law School, the Monkey House at the National Zoo, the Philips Collection, and the Army and Navy Club building. Hornblower was also chairman of the Department of Architecture at Columbian University (now George Washington University) from 1895 to 1900.

     In 1901, the building was sold to Pennsylvania Congressman Joseph Thropp and his wife, Miriam Scott-Thropp, whose father was president of the Pennsylvania Railroad and a former Assistant Secretary of War under President Lincoln.

     The mansion passed through several owners during its first 100 years, but remained a popular focal point for the local area.


Continued...


ContentsSurvey
PreviousBookstoreRelated SitesNext


info@scientology.net

| Previous | Glossary | Next |
| Your View | Related Sites | Bookstore | Home page |

More about Mr. David Miscavige:
Mr. David Miscavige Chairman of the Board RTC
L. Ron Hubbard Tributes presented by Mr. David Miscavige
Annual Tribute Draws Record Numbers - Mr. David Miscavige, Master of Ceremonies


© 1998-2004 Church of Scientology International. All Rights Reserved.

For Trademark Information on Scientology Services.